Wednesday 16 March 2011

Extravagant meal for two!

I can't really call this a romantic meal for two because we had to coordinate the cooking around getting the children to bed so that Mark could eat everything before he went to the pub. Thankfully everything was pretty simple and could be prepared ahead of time and shoved in the oven.

Starter: Scollops with butter, chilly, and lime.
These were really simple, but we only had one each, and I wish we'd had more they were so delicious, but at 99p each, I have to set limits! It's basically chop chilli, a bit of butter on each and zest a lemon (I used lime) and bake for 8 minutes. Perfect!
Baked Plaice: Now, I'll admit these don't look very pretty but they tasted good. They are Plaice with anchovies wrapped up inside them and cooked with garlic, white wine and lime zest. We had them with potatoes and peas, I know aren't we exciting!

Apple and Blueberry Crumble: Officially this should have been a rhubarb crumble but neither me or Mark are big rhubarb fans so we switched to apple. It's packed full of fresh ginger too which was fab. I love crumble and I made little individual ones, well they wern't that small but hey, it's mainly fruit right? Something I'm beginning to realise that although the recipe says one thing, it's ok to change things to suit you. At the beginning I promised to myself that I would follow everything to the letter but it can't always be done that way, if you don't like something, change it. I'm sure any cookery book writer would be proud that their readers felt confident enough with their recipes to adapt them to their own tastes and it is something that I'm doing more of. I was always a follow the recipe girl, but the more I make I feel more confident to adapt things and so far it seems to be working. I hope you don't mind Lorraine!

No comments:

Post a Comment