Sunday 20 March 2011

The scary stuff!

When I started this blog I promised myself I would make a post a day, so I would have to keep up with the baking. Well, things took an unexpected turn this week. My smiley little 8 month old boy has not been his usual self and has come out with a stomach bug, alongside that I've been making a christening cake for a friends daughter which seems to have taken up all my time, between loads of washing and keeping Zoe occupied. Well the cake is now finished so I can carry on (pictures will follow).

Now any eagle eyed bakers who read this blog might have noticed that there has been a distinct lack of a certain baking item. Pastry. Pastry and I do not get along, despite me knowing all the rules, keep it cool, down make it when your in a mood (thats a struggle in its self sometimes!) don't mess with it too much, has to chill in the fridge etc. I've even got half a dozen books dedicated to this tricky substance, but every attempt I make usually ends up in pieces and me in tears.

Now, as Lorraines book has quite a few pastry recipes I had to face up to it and start afresh and keep calm, so I put on some nice calm music, the children were out and the back door was open. Well, I surprised myself, and this is the dish I am most proud of since I started.
Quiche Lorraine, made with smokey bacon, onions, creme fraiche and eggs, with of course shortcrust pastry which was blind baked. This is the first ever pastry case which has survived my handling. I was so excited when it came out of the tin and didn't collapse on itself. I may even be a convert to making my own quiches from scratch from now on. The filling was so easy to make and the longer it stayed in the fridge, the better the flavour became. Can definitely recommend even if your a bit of an anti pastry, go on, give it a go, if I can do it then anyone can!

No comments:

Post a Comment