Sunday 8 January 2012

Caramelised Banana and Pecan Bread Pudding

Well what do you make when you have loads of bananas and a humongous pandoro to eat. Well the above pudding with a few tweaks. Those with eagle eyes may notice the lack of pecan nuts. This is true I swapped them for chocolate coins. I didn't bother putting any butter on the bread either, the pandoro was so sweet and buttery anyway I didn't want to add any unnecessary fat (yeah, I know, too late!!).  I bought the pandoro along with a panetone about 2 months before christmas and pressies and then as usual I completely forgot about them. I found a home for the panetone but we ended up keeping the pandoro, and despite trying to dish it out on christmas day there was no way we would be able to eat it all. This thing was huge. I would say  diameter of 10 inches and a height of more than 12 inches. More than half ended up as worm food. But the quarter that went into this little baby was well worth it. This is a really simple pud, basically mix milk, eggs and sugar together and pour over bread. Bake in the oven. I used chocolate coins because we had no pecans in the house, they didn't melt in the way I would have expected them too, you can see the ones on the top are whole and went really hard.

Very nice on it's own but day two (it lasted a while) we had it with chocolate sauce. I was so impressed with myself, no recipe and spur of the moment. I had the end of a tub of cream and some chocolate buttons. Heated the cream and then let the buttons melt in it for a while before mixing, so the same method as ganache but different quantities.





So this is the bowl of sweetness. I didn't manage to get to the end of this, try as I might. I'm not a fan of bread and butter pudding anyway despite my Dads best efforts when I was younger, just bread in a pudding is wrong and the added problem of currants. The banana definitely made it slightly more tempting and changing the bread to cake. But be warned it is seriously sweet. The chocolate sauce did help but make it a dark chocolate, really dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment