Tuesday 7 February 2012

Cheese and Ham Bread

The great thing about cooking through Lorriaine book is the chance to make bread. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I love making bread but never have the time. I made this loaf on a saturday morning for lunch. From watching the The Great British Bake Off there was a brilliant episode at the end where Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry gave lots of tips about some of the recipes. The tip I learnt was don't put the salt directly on yeast because it will die. So from then on I'm always really careful when I mix the dough. I'm still pretty lazy though and end up using the dough hook on my kitchen aid. This was quite a simple loaf to make and and because it includes cheese and ham you know it's going to be tasty.

As you can see from the picture I always seem to end up with quite stodgy bread, I'm not sure why, could be because I don't knead it for long enough or I don't let it prove for long nough or it isn't warm enough. Anyway, a lot of my bread comes out with the texture of a fudgey cake. Saying that though it does taste nice and was lovely with the big bowl of warm soup, especially with this freezing cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment